New Covenant Missionary Baptist Church

NEW COVENANT MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

New Covenant Missionary Baptist Church was organized in the fall of 1899 at a regular monthly conference at Mount Moriah Baptist Church.  The church was organized and first edifice was started under the leadership of Rev. Bachelor and some of the members that included Henry Chandler and family, Sallie Goins and daughter, Aquilla Scott, Shed Phillips, Alice Johnson, C.J. Johnson, Jack Lambright and family, Pasty Morgan and family, Patsy Sims and family, Lula Anderson and husband, Mother Graham, Geraldine Davis, the Agent family and Duhart Murray.

 

  

Under the pastorate of Rev. A.E. Crumady, the chapel was built in the 1940’s.

   

  

With the pastoral leadership of Rev. Dr. O. Van Pinkston, who served for 49 years (1949-1999), another edifice and an educational building including day care for the children’s preschool and Vacation Bible School were built.  The church’s organizational structure was changed with departmentalization.  In April 1954, Covenant was the host for the 74th Annual Session of the General Baptist State Convention of Florida, Inc.

  

 

Dr. Pinkston served in our District and State Congress Conventions as well as our National Congress and Conventions.  He served the Second Bethlehem Baptist Association as Moderator for 32 years and was Moderator Emeritus and was an excellent Bible Study teacher and Pastor/Teacher.

 


 

During the 1960’s Covenant was a “beacon of light” and headquarters in the fight against racism and injustice shown against our people.  These efforts produced many leaders who blazed the way and the people responded in mass numbers.  Rev. Frank George Pinkston (son of Rev. Pinkston) was a very brave and victorious leader during this time.  Covenant became active in all related organizations:  District, State, and National Congresses and conventions and we still continue as active participants.

 

  

Rev. Stanley M. Jacobs, Sr. was called to serve as pastor of Covenant Missionary Baptist Church in July 1999.  Under Pastor Jacobs’ leadership, the current church edifice was completed in May 2002 and the congregation has grown to nearly 600.  Pastor Jacobs’ ministry has also given birth to the New Covenant Faith-based Community Development Corporation that is actively involved in providing affordable housing in our community. 

 


Covenant has come through many trials, hardships and stormy weather, but it stands today as a monument of FAITH shown by these patriarchs who went forward trusting God. We have been instrumental in helping to mold the lives of many young men and women.  Many have become leaders in various fields and organizations.   With God’s blessings, all things are possible.

 


On June 2, 2012, we were blessed to break ground on our new worship center.  We look forward to the construction completion.